Booking Through Thursday (8.14.08): Gold Medal ReadingAugust 14, 2008
Yay! This is my first post for Booking Through Thursday. Here goes (answers in purple):
You, um, may have noticed that the Olympics are going on right now, so that’s the genesis of this week’s question, in two parts:
- Do you or have you ever read books about the Olympics? About sports in general? No, actually I haven’t. I am not much for a sports-y book (or at least, haven’t found a good one).
- Fictional ones? Or non-fiction? Or both? Neither.
- Do you consider yourself a sports fan? Yes, but it depends on the sport. I like most sports including basketball–always a Detroit Pistons fan, gymnastics, football, and swimming (to watch by the way). To actually do, I can only say anything with running (track & field) because that’s something I’m quite good at. The Olympics are something I’ve never watched so closely before (I was probably too young to care 4 years ago at age 11) but at the moment its something I watch everyday. I love the Women’s USA gymnastics team and am soooo rooting for Shawn Johnson (and Nastia Luikin, I guess) today on the gymnastics all-around. So yeah… GO SHAWN! (And Nastia!)
- Because, of course, if you’re a rabid fan and read about sports constantly, there’s a logic there; if you hate sports and never read anything sports-related, that, too … but you don’t have to love sports to enjoy a good sports story. I agree on this, but have never found a good sports story. However I have heard of some, like Screwball by Keri Mikulski and Play Me by Laura Ruby, I just guess I never picked one up. Yet.
- (Or a good sports movie, for that matter. Feel free to expand this into a discussion about “Friday Night Lights” or “The Natural” or whatever…) Well, sports movies I can say I’ve watched… Remember The Titans, The Longest Yard (Adam Sandler is so funny), Rudy (inspiring), Gridiron Gang (okay), The Game Plan (which sucked), Talladega Nights (which was weird but funny), Coach Carter (wow, I loved that movie), Kingpin (ahh, so old but great), Like Mike (I loved this movie when I was smaller), Annapolis (I loved James Franco in this one), Ice Princess (so girly and cute). Wow, you made me research all these sports movies… I wanna watch them now.